Sunday, April 27, 2008

One last night of AZN (excellence)

I made a special trip to Los Angeles last week. It was both a reunion and an opportunity for me to say goodbye to an important period of my life.

It had been announced several months ago that AZN Television, my former employer, was going to be taken off the air. I had felt disappointment when I heard the news but admittedly knew that it was inevitable. We have never gotten traction in the advertising community and despite our best efforts the business model didn't make sense.

On Wednesday, the network's flagship program, the Asian Excellence Awards, was filmed at Royce Hall on the campus of UCLA. I had been part of the inaugural awards show two years ago and saw this as my chance to say goodbye to the network and to my ex-coworkers who would be traveling to Los Angeles for the event.

It was a great production filled with celebrities and great performances. (The program is airing on E! Television on May 1st and will also be available on-demand in Comcast systems). The after-party was terrific and I enjoyed the opportunity to rub elbows with some celebrities. Among the distinguished guests? Members of Jabbawockees and Kaba Modern from MTV's America's Best Dance Crew, Quentin Tarantino, Rob Schneider, and Kelly Hu. I have to admit I let out my inner groupie. Chances to get this close to "celebrity" don't happen very often for me so I took full advantage.

I had a nice conversation with Kelly Hu about her participation in the Obama campaign and got some photos with other celebs (to be added later). The best part of the evening? Catching up with my old clients and my coworkers. It felt so natural to be in that environment again, spending time with my IC/AZN family. It just reminded me of how much I missed them all.

Bill, Jeff, Karen, Mike, Shelly, Ruby and the rest of the crew... it was great to see all of you. I hope that we will be able to reunite again soon. AZN, I'm sorry that you didn't get real chance to change the market. Hopefully, our community will get another chance down the road.

Update: a photo with the talented and gracious ladies of Kaba Modern.
Kaba Modern Cindy Minowa and Jia Huang

No comments: